The time is even more important for senior students who aspire to take on competitive exams like JEE Main and Advanced, BITSAT or the likes of NTSE and KVPY. Although it is true that these exams require continuous practice and cannot be conquered in a few days, these vacations offer a golden opportunity to strategies your preparation. As these exams have millions of test takers and a very less success probability, it mandates a sound test taking temperament.
Here are a few suggestions for serious JEE/ BITSAT/ NTSE/ KVPY aspirants which they can follow to utilize their holiday time optimally.
- Devote few hours to core subjects: For students pursuing science or high scholars aiming for NTSE, science and math are very important and thus their core subjects. Thus, it is very important for students to devote an hour per subject. This does not necessarily need to be reading books or practicing questions. A lot of educational videos and tutorials are present online which can be referred for better understanding the concepts.
- Balance time between the subjects: As most of the competitive exams have sectional cutoffs, it is important for learners to divide time evenly between these subjects to ensure uniform concept strengthening in each.
- Focus more on concept tests: As students have not completed their syllabus for the exams, there is no point in rehearsing the exams. Rather, this time should be used to build concepts and students should focus more on concept tests.
- Track your preparation level and strengths: Being systematic in approach requires being aware of one’s strengths and weaknesses which can be done easily by introspection. During the long break, students can easily track their strengths and weaknesses by merely practicing and taking a note of concepts where they are faltering regularly.
- Make SMART goals and set deadlines : It is very important for the students to get a nerve of the whole syllabus and chalk out a strategy. The goals should be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time Bound. If a student understands his core strengths, he/she can easily set realistic goals and then set timelines for their achievement.
- Devote time to hobby and interests as well: However, a student should also make sure to utilize the time for recreation as well.
Following this checklist is not very difficult but it requires discipline to sustain the routine. Though the results may not be evident quickly, the practice will pay off with strong concepts and eventually better performance in exams.